Thursday, January 29, 2009

Cookie Conundrum



Are they Samoas or Caramel deLites?

Our family has a MAJOR weakness for Girl Scout cookies. One of our favorites is the second-most popular cookie, behind Thin Mints. We have noticed that they are called Samoas some places and Caramel deLites in other places. In the past we wrongly assumed that they had changed the name of the cookie to be more Politically Correct (I guess some Samoan was offended that a delicious cookie was named after him). Anyway, we indulged in both cookie names this year, and I wondered if it was a regional thing as one box was purchased in NJ and the other in MD. Otherwise, the MD girl scouts are passing off REALLY old cookies. So I did some research.

There are two baking companies that make cookies for the Girl Scouts. ABC Bakers is in Richmond, VA and makes Caramel deLites. Little Brownie Bakers is in Louisville, KY and makes Samoas. I guess it depends on what bakery is supplying which troop.

From experience, both cookies taste alike. However, I have found through my research that Caramel deLites are healthier with 140 calories as opposed to the 150 calories in Samoas. Both packages list the serving size as 2 cookies! Who can eat only two?! I can easily polish off a whole box in one sitting if no one is watching!

I have also learned that Girl Scout Cookies are Kosher. You can also claim them as a tax deduction if you pay for the cookies but leave them with the troop. What's the fun in that?!

I propose that we organize a taste-off of the various types/names of Girl Scout Cookies. Anyone want to share a box with me?

No comments: